Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tip 3 : Hair Coloring

To pay or not to pay...that is the question. To pay big bucks to get your hair colored that is. The difference between doing it yourself or paying someone else to do it can be well over $100. Here is what I found in my research:

If you want to color your own hair:
· Don’t go more than two shades lighter or darker than your natural hair color

· Keep it simple – if you are looking for a new base color with highlights, let a professional handle it

· Always test a few strands first

· Maintain your color with a shampoo and conditioner made for color treated hair

· If you colored your hair yourself and the shade is all wrong, for semi-permanent wash your hair with clarifying or dandruff shampoo…these are known to strip color (which is why you should stay away from them if you want to keep your color). For permanent color, go to a professional. Do not try to fix it yourself.

My personal opinion on hair color is to leave it to the professionals. Hair color needs to match the tones in your skin, and trying to match a box color to your skin is not an easy task. If Travis wants highlights I will do those for him, but that is because his hair grows out quickly. If you go to a professional they can do things that most people can't do themselves...and should not attempt to do themselves. If you don't want to pay the money, play it safe and stay close to your natural tone. That being said, good luck in all of your hair coloring endeavors!

Next week's tip will be finding the right eye shadow for your eye color.

1 comments:

Tatum said...

I've colored my hair every color imaginable. Done by professionals, myself and students. Now I'm thinning! I need a wig.