Sunday, May 2, 2010

Audrey's Birthday

For the last two weeks I have been occupied with Audrey's Birthday party. I am glad to say that it is over, and it seemed like all of the kids had a good time at the party (especially Audrey). I put a lot of time and effort into it, but Audrey was involved in pretty much everything, and I know that she appreciated it all (she kept saying "thank you!"). She told me everyone that she wanted to invite, I picked the theme (or color scheme rather...I couldn't come up with a good theme). She chose chocolate cake with white frosting and a strawberry filling (I once made a chocolate cake with raspberry filling and I think that is where she got the idea from). I had to make up my own "recipe" for the filling because all of the recipes I found online tasted like strawberry jam, and I wanted a fresh strawberry taste. The cake turned out OK, I really prefer white cake though. I made Audrey a special birthday skirt, and the flower barrettes in her hair, they turned out almost exactly as how I had wanted them to, so I was pleased with that. For a gift I made her a fleece "coat of many colors" based off of the one that Donny Osmond sports in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor dream coat. It was literally the fastest and easiest sewing project, it took less than half an hour. Before she would make me tie her most colorful blanket around her when she watched the movie.

I could not find some cute pink paper for the life of me, so I had to use the plain pink...but it turned out OK. I got this new thing that laminates, makes things into stickers, or magnets. So, I took advantage of the magnet maker and made a business card size reminder for each invite. I also used my trusty cricut for a few things.

Audrey was VERY involved with the cake making process...


Audrey had been wanting to go to Chili's for at least a month so we took her there the night before her birthday (the waitress said "Is it your birthday little man?"...I guess the pony tail, the pink shirt, and the pink jacket weren't strong enough indications of Audrey's gender).


I stayed up quite late (or early depending on how you look at it) getting the decorations assembled and up. Audrey was so happy when she came downstairs on her birthday.

Instead of playing pin-the-tail on the donkey I did a spin off and we played pin the bee on the flowers. I think it turned out absolutely adorable and the kids loved it. Hopefully by next year I will have enough cake decorating skills to do a more elaborate (and accurate) cake.

Here is the birthday girl with a few of her presents...
I know that Audrey had a great birthday, and I am already planning her party next year (a daisy themed non-tea tea party).

5 comments:

Unknown said...

that is one lucky girl! the decorations looked AMAZING!! so did the cake! i loooooooooooove her coat of many colors, that is hilarious!!!

Anonymous said...

That looked like it was such a fun party! That skirt you made her was adorable. I can't believe the waitress at chili's thought she was a boy... you can't get more girly thank Audrey! LOL

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Great job with everything and making it all! love her rainbow coat - are you sure it only took 30 minutes?

Tatum said...

Oh my goodness this looks amazing! You are such a good mom. I'm sure she will never forget her 4th Birthday! Happy Birthday little Audrey!

Sarah Newsom said...

You did such an amazing job on the party! Everything looked beautiful!