Thursday, September 1, 2011

Audrey's Worst err I mean First Day of School

I got to spend a wonderful day with Audrey yesterday, we went shopping for a few new clothes, ate lunch at Olive Garden (she asked for a 2nd bowl of soup!!), and we had a lot of time for girl talk. She picked out the skirt she wore today (her first day of school) yesterday.







You may or may not have noticed, but she is not a traditional poser...







Audrey had her assessment day for Kindergarten last week, and she had fun that day. She bought her lunch (chicken nuggets, broccoli, apple, and chocolate milk), and she made two friends. She had a great time and she was excited to go back to school. Last night was meet the teacher and unfortunately it was NOT the teacher I had hoped for. Audrey was disappointed because she only likes girl teachers and she got the boy teacher (I was disappointed to, but I pretended not to be for her sake...I know, how noble of me!). Anyhoo, when I picked her up (after waiting in the carpool line for 25 minutes) she said that she had the worst day ever. At first she didn't want to talk about it, and then she said that she didn't have any friends and that everyone else was friends with each other, she didn't like her teacher, no one played with her on the playground, and there was "one super girl who was super stylish" (I asked Audrey what the girl wore and it was a Hello Kitty shirt with a vest and a sparkly skirt). I took her to Marbles and made sure that she felt extra special and loved tonight. Phoenix even licked her (which is something I have only seen him to do to me...and every other object he fancies), so that made Audrey feel better.


So...am I freaking out? No, not at all. I have just considered taking out a loan for $6500 to get her into a Christian school for ONE year (um yeah, that is like 4 semesters @ BYU-Idaho), considered moving across the city to the "right" side of town, considered pulling her out of Kindergarten and have her take one more year of blessed preschool and then moving out of state before she starts Kinder, and last but not least, considered bumping up our tentative move to Arizona to...tomorrow. OK, so maybe I am freaking out just a little (you think?!?!?)! Yes, I am worried. What if she doesn't make any friends? What if her teacher really is not that great? What if something happens to make her change who she is, my darling, spunky, sweet little girl with a wonderful (if not crude) sense of humor, a girl who knows who she is, what she likes, and has confidence? Hopefully she will make a few friends tomorrow, start to like her teacher, and get more comfortable. And hopefully I can get a grip!

7 comments:

Brave Brooke said...

:( I'm sorry! It has to get better!

Heather Macbeth said...

Awwww. Poor little Audrey. It's not very fun to have a rough start to school. But I did burst out loud laughing about the part when Phoenix licked her. How sweet!

Kristen said...

Sounds EXACTLY like Merry Grace's first day. She sobbed for a solid hour before school this morning. There are 16 boys in her class and only 5 other girls besides her, so she's not loving that part. And a bunch of other things she's not loving. It is SO HARD. 99% of the time it works out just fine. The other 1% you do one of those drastic things you mentioned. :) I'll keep my fingers crossed for Audrey today. :) (And you too!!!)

Kory said...

hope today goes better for her (and you!). i'm excited/dreading CJ's first day. we met her teacher last night and she was able to make a friend but i know the dynamics will change a bit once things really get going next week. *sigh*

hang in there!

Emily Bartlett said...

this makes me so sad :( i hope she doesn't change either. and i hope her teacher appreciates her just like she is! bad days of school are just part of growing up for the mom, i suppose. maybe you should home skool. baahhaaaha.

Ellett Family said...

I really want to go and be her friend at school and tell everyone how cool she is! Bet she will be the most popular one then. Is this the way it is for boys on there first day?(If so I'm totally homeschooling) OK just-kidding! Hang in there you two!

Holly Dart said...

oh so sorry rachel! I saw the title to this and I knew I had to read on...Ava's not loving school either. Hope Audrey has had some better days lately....I bet she will, she is so cute and spunky!! Wish she and ava were in the same class!